There are few achievements in life that are quite as rewarding as losing a significant amount of weight. This goal requires a strong commitment to maintaining a healthy lifestyle, as well as daily diligence. Unfortunately, the loss of body fat often reveals another unexpected flaw: excess skin. For some patients, excess skin may be present in just one area of the body, most commonly, in the patient’s problem area. For those that have lost weight throughout the body, excess skin may be present in several areas. While the excess skin can be frustrating, the good news is that it can be removed with plastic surgery. Dr. John Griffin is a Bay Area Plastic Surgeon who is skilled in various skin tightening techniques; he can remove the excess skin that has accumulated after weight loss.
Skin Removal Candidates
Candidates for skin removal surgery include those who have lost a significant amount of weight due to bariatric surgery, diet, exercise, or a combination of these methods. They are often left with loose, wrinkled excess skin on the:
- Upper arms
Skin Removal Techniques
Specific skin removal techniques are designed to target certain areas of the body:
- Lower body lift: The lower body lift tightens skin on the back, flanks, stomach, hips, and buttocks. This approach is most commonly performed on patients who have lost a significant amount of weight due to bariatric surgery or other weight los methods.
- Tummy tuck: Tummy tuck surgery targets excess skin on the stomach. The mini, traditional, or extended tummy tuck techniques can be performed on patients whose excess skin is mostly concentrated in the abdominal area.
- Arm lift: Arm lift surgery is performed on patients who have developed excess skin on the upper arms. This procedure may be combined with other skin tightening techniques as part of a full body makeover.
- Thigh lift: Thigh lift surgery techniques can be performed to remove excess skin on the inner or outer thighs. Like arm lift surgery, this procedure can be combined with other skin tightening techniques.
Skin Removal Recovery
The skin removal surgery recovery period lasts for several weeks. The initial, most difficult part, of the recovery period lasts for about two weeks. During this time, patients should take time off of work so they can rest while the majority of side effects subside. During this period, drains may be put in place to reduce the risk of fluid accumulation beneath the skin.
The total recovery time after skin removal surgery is typically about six weeks. During this period, patients should wear compression garments and avoid any strenuous, heavy activity.
Skin Removal Side Effects
The most common side effects of skin removal surgery include:
- Tightness of the skin
Skin Removal Risks
Skin removal techniques are generally considered to be the more invasive types of plastic surgery. These procedures are associated with certain risks and complications, including:
- Poor reaction to anesthesia
- Slow wound healing
- Permanent nerve damage and loss of sensation
- Excessive bleeding
- Unfavorable scarring
Additional risks may be associated with specific skin tightening techniques.
Skin Removal Results
After six weeks, patients should have a fairly good idea of what their final results will look like. The results of skin tightening surgery should last for 10 years or more if the patient remains active and maintains a healthy diet.
Skin Removal Consultations
Contact the practice of Dr. John Griffin to schedule a skin removal surgery consultation.